Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Workout Wednesday: The Fear of Sucking

No - there's no official diagnostic word for that. 

But I had it.

I worked out 13.1 miles at Wine & Dine at a respectable pace thanks to DisBroad April but had done only one 3 mile run after that.  November 9 to December 2:  3 miles.  DisBroad Patty annoyingly pointed out there are only 46 days until the Tinker Bell Half Marathon.  Craaaaap.

I've had NO motivation to run.  Zero.  In fact, the thought crossed my mind that if running weren't my pass to Disney, I could easily give it up.



Wait - what?!?!  That's crazy talk.  I've put in too much work.

But I've let it all go to pot.  Hence the fear.

If I started back running again, I was afraid I would hate it.  Even worse, I was afraid I would completely suck at it.

If I find out that I do suck, what am I supposed to do about the next 3 half marathons for which I'm registered?  That's what it boils down to - if I suck at 3 miles, I'm going to have to suck three times a week for the next 3 months while I train.  Paralyzing fear.



Well, I've found the solution.  Don't suck, y'all.

Seriously.  It's not rocket science.  It's discipline.  It's psychology.

Monday I decided to start my dog running.  She's never run with me so I would stop at a mile.  I figured that was enough for both of us.  I also did 1/1 intervals for her.  I didn't hate it.



The next day I went when the opportunity presented.  Three miles, and they were pretty good.  No music.  Even though a mid-50's, drizzly day isn't anyone's idea of a Winter Wonderland, my body was out moving.  The starkness of the trees and the wet leaves on the ground had their own kind of beauty that held my attention.

I didn't suck.  I didn't hate it.  I can see myself upping to 5 miles this weekend.  See it and not have the fear.

There is no magic.  Just GO.  Just go, and don't suck.


22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. But not so easy to get into our heads sometimes!

      Delete
  2. getting motivated is the hurdle for me! but I agree, once you get going, it's so worth it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep.... why is the motivation so hard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!! Sometimes the hardest step is the first one out the door and then something clicks and everything feels better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Even if you have a crappy run, there's pride in having done it.

      Delete
  5. We've got this! I'm on a running hiatus right now for my IT band, but when I'm told not to run, then I want to. If I had no injury, then I probably wouldn't want to because it's cold. I just need to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! If I were injured, I would be pulling my hair out!

      Delete
  6. Man, I needed to read this! mine have been sucking lately- but today--- today was GOOD! Glad to see I'm not alone. Keep on keeping on Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! It's so simple, yet so hard sometimes :) I sucked for a while there too so don't feel so bad! Now I'm doing the RW Run Streak and even though it's tough, it's getting me out there every day and making me feel so much better about my "runner status" because I won't let myself quit. Good luck with building the miles back up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to jump on that streak!

      Delete
  8. "In fact, the thought crossed my mind that if running weren't my pass to Disney, I could easily give it up." This has crossed my mind so many times! I REALLY have to stay on a pattern, or I fall off the wagon big time. Good luck finding your rhythm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah - I definitely have to have a reason to run; I am not one of those people who loves it for the sake of it.

    ReplyDelete